Department Chair's Speech :
Praise to God Lord of the worlds and prayers and peace be upon our Prophet Mohammed and all his family and companions. I have the honor on my behalf and behaf of my colleagues members of the department of microbiology to welcome you to the website of the Department of Microbiology. The microbiology department has been striving towards excellence and leadership since its inception based on the decision of the President of Alzaeim Alazhari University, Prof. Siham Bakheet upon recommendation of the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Prof.Ehsan Abdelhaleim for the year 2017. Before this microbiology was part from Pathology Department since 1993.
The mission of the Department of Microbiology is to educate and train students in the discipline of Microbiology and to expand the body of knowledge of this scientific field through research.
The specific goals of the Department are to:
- Offer courses within Alzaeim Alazhari 's educational program to enhance the intellectual foundation and preparation of students for life in a complex, dynamic technological world.
- Enhance opportunities for research for faculty members as well as undergraduate and graduate students.
- Preserve, add to, evaluate, and transmit knowledge in the field of Microbiology.
- Serve society .
To impart knowledge of the basic principles of bacteriology, virology, mycology, immunology and parasitology including the nature of pathogenic microorganisms, pathogenesis, laboratory diagnosis, transmission, prevention and control of diseases common in the country
Acquire requisite skill in the use and care of basic microbiological equipment; performance of basic laboratory procedures in microbiology and parasitology; proper collection and forwarding of microbiological and parasitological specimens to the laboratory.
- To maintain an interest in the study of medical microbiology, immunology and parasitology by appreciating its role in promotive, preventive and curative medicine with special reference to the microbial and parasitic diseases common in Sudan.
- To establish essential habits of continuing self-learning through critical reading and evaluation of information in the above mentioned fields;
- To demonstrate development of sound attitudes in relation to the role of medical microbiology in clinical and community medicine;
- To appreciate the professional and personal development in respective field
Method of teaching:
Method of teaching
Contents: Core curriculum
General microbiology: Anatomy and physiology of Bacteria, Sterilization and Disinfection, Microbial Pathogenicity, Infection and Mode of Transmission, Antimicrobial sensitivity
Systematic bacteriology: Staphylococci, Streptococci, The Neisseriae, Gram Positive Spore Forming Bacili – Bacillus, Clostridium, Mycobacteria, Enterobacteriaceae – Salmonella, Shigella, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas, Vibrios, Helicobacter, Yersinia, Haemophilus, Spirochaetes, Chlamydiae
Virology: Herpes viruses, Hepatitis viruses (HAV, HBV, HCV, HDV, HEV), Influenza virus, Picornaviruses , Arboviruses , SARS CoV, Rabies viruses, HIV
Mycolgy: Dermatophytes, Candida, Cryptococcus
- Protozoa : Entamoeba, Giardia, Trichomonas, Toxoplasma, Plasmodium
Nematodes – Ascaris, Trichuris, Enterobius, Hook Worm, Wuchereria
Cestodes – Taenia, Hymenolepis
Immunolgy : The Immune system, Antigen and antibody, The complement system, MHC, Immunity, Immune response, Hypersensitivity, Immunoprophylaxis and immunotherapy, Apoptosis, Autoimmunity, Immunodeficiency
I ask God to grand us success in providing high quality educational services,research activities and community services in accordance with the vision and misson of the department